Our client creates innovative IT products and services that transform the way their customers work and as such, innovation is at the heart of what they do. They have strong and growing divisions that specialise in providing IT services, communication solutions and retail to business and home customers throughout the UK. Their depth and range of expertise in IT and communication services is one of the many reasons why they are so renowned.
The Junior Data Engineer will be responsible for working within the core development interfaces, to the differing clinical system databases. Working with both technical & non-technical members of the agile teams, within this role you will develop and maintain effective solutions to support any data migration or data transformation process.
* Contributes simultaneously on different projects with little impact due to context switching. Uses this to his/her advantage in order to utilise dead times and or blocks in projects.
* To assist with the transformation and manipulation of data in order to transfer data between computer solutions.
* Assists with the design of data structures for optimal storage, creation, retrieval or data mining.
* Reads and understands existing code.
* Debugs software and databases with different tools.
* Performs data analysis.
* Assists in writing production quality robust code and understands it’s interaction within the larger system, not in isolation.
* Reports progress on development at daily stand-ups and escalates issues or slippage in a timely fashion, identifying remedial action to keep the project on track.
* Demonstrates a logical and structured approach to time management and task prioritisation, to effectively work within project timelines.
* Keeps up to date with industry developments and technologies, interacts with other team members to support them in improving their own skills.
* Manages source code and version control using GIT.
* Works independently or in conjunction with other developers as the work requires.
* Participates fully in team planning and works with colleagues to continuously improve the team’s performance.
* Creates and maintains strong working relationships with other members of the data team and the wider technology organisation.
* Dedicated to learning and progressing to a more senior position.
Knowledge & Skills
* SQL Experience with demonstrable skills in analysing and developing complex SQL queries
* Has an understanding of software development (C++, C#, JS) and or mathematics, either through training or experience.
* Has an understanding of common database technologies.
* Experienced in preparing system documents; use cases, test cases and other documentation.
* Clear verbal and written communication skills, to interact with both technical and non-technical personnel in different units.
* Ability to work in a collaborative environment (e.g. collaborate with team members, users and back-end programmers.)
* Has good exposure to DBA skills for MySQL.
* Experience with MySQL database design & architecture, administration, implementation and management.
* Experience with data migration, data conversion, database upgrades, physical modelling and schema designs.
* Familiarity with Linux administration would be an advantage.
* Highly self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail.
* Experience with working in an Agile software development environment.
* Good analytical and problem-solving/troubleshooting abilities.
Problems you will address in this role involve the interpretation of reports and evaluation of requirements, which requires frequent interaction with; team members, programmers, support staff, training members and occasionally directly with the user base. Additionally, you may be required to interface with the Connecting for Health or other third parties, so communication skills and an outgoing personality are key.
You will be required to make the recommendation on when data migration has been completed and adequately tested, thus can be released. You will also be responsible for maintaining confidentiality for any client data, maintaining scripts and manuals/documentation as required.
This position is solely office based, with the potential for visits to clients and other premises and would suit someone who is keen to prove themselves and work up the ranks to senior level. If you have the relevant skills and experience, please apply now and I will be in touch with more information. We are open to considering Junior, Mid-Level and Senior Data Engineers, so even if this is not quite the right fit, please get in touch by calling (Apply online only) and we can have a confidential chat about what you are looking