DBA / Database Administrator (Multi-Platform)
Liga Recruitment are pleased to offer an opportunity for an experienced Database Administrator to take a Multi-platform Database Administrator position, with a global leading company based in the Newport area of South Wales.
As the DBA you will provide support for the company’s traditional Oracle relational databases, as well as their NoSQL database platforms, taking responsibility for all phases of database administration on their production and development environments.
Working both independently and as part of the team, you will be self-motivated and focussed on to deliver tasks to agreed timelines and deadlines. Therefore, you will need to be a very strong communicator, well organised, with the ability to adapt to changing and conflicting priorities whilst maintaining productivity. You will have a keen eye for detail and an analytical mind to carry out performance troubleshooting, database tuning, analytical problem solving and business customer support.
• Install, configure and administer databases
• Setup and maintain databases in the development, test and production environments.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, technology upgrades and system resource optimization.
• Work with development teams to ensure each application is fully covered in terms of backup and restore requirements. Create and maintain software modules to support these processes.
• Develop prototypes and proof of concept solutions to support future technology selection and product lines as required by the business
• Support developers in development oriented activities including scripting and analysis of implementation to ensure performance considerations are taken into account.
• Support the Continuous Delivery process through required maintenance and updates of associated tooling (e,g Jenkins).
• Develop and maintain documentation for assigned projects including install guide, troubleshooting guide, etc.
• Track latest database solutions in the industry to drive technology refresh.
• Provide support per project needs; investigate and troubleshoot issues; perform regular log analysis, security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
Skills and experience required
• Oracle and Open source technologies - MongoDB, Cassandra, Hadoop and Neo4J etc
• Proven hands on DBA expertise in at least one of the core database platforms.
• Knowledge of core NoSQL concepts and types (Key/Value, Document, Graph, Column).
• Strong Experience in database disaster recovery planning and failover.
• Ability to solve complex database administration problems.
• Experience and competency in Continuous Delivery and Deployment pipelines and associated tooling (Jenkins, Nexus, Puppet etc.)
• Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) concepts such as SQL, stored procedures, JDBC/ODBC drivers, tables, foreign keys, joins, normalization, etc.
• Ability to work with database developers and engineers to analyse and resolve database performance issues.
• Strong Linux System Administration skills including experience in writing shell scripts and creating scheduled jobs.
• Experience and competency in at least one of the following scripting languages (Shell, Perl, Python).
• Experience with VMWare, Networking and Load Balancing tooling and concepts
• Knowledge of NoSQL Scaling and an understanding of HA strategies, including replica sets and sharding.
• Installation and configuration of Real Application Clusters / Maximum Availability Architecture (MAA) solutions or clustering technologies to address high availability requirement.
• Cloud and Container based deployment architectures and technologies (OpenStack, AWS, Docker etc).
• Knowledge or exposure to Java
DBA, Database Administrator, Multiplatform, Oracle, NoSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Performance tuning