The Senior DBA is a key support role within the IT function, in addition to supporting the day to day operation of the Savings Website databases, it is also a key enabler for reviewing, defining and supporting strategic database technologies and initiatives.
Providing continued support to the business and engineering teams through this function, the role will be to provide technical support and consultation to the various stakeholders ensuring the delivery of pragmatic and cost-effective technology solutions. Focus will be technology agnostic, delivering business value through the most appropriate use of technology. You will work closely with key senior leaders to ensure IT services are fit for purpose, consistent and adding value to our fast-paced and growing enterprise.
- Providing technical oversight to the Database Administration function and corporate tech teams to ensure stability and supportability of environments and services are maintained.
- Be a key contributor and role model within the IT Service Leadership team, ensuring that changes to Database and data services are in line with operational and strategic plans.
- Work closely with Heads of IT, to ensure that demand planning feeds into a robust capacity and strategic architectural plan
- Ensures the stability and availability of production databases within agreed targets
- Monitors the production, development and test databases for performance to ensure that future volume is handled as required
- Carries out regular performance testing and tuning to ensure all production systems are optimised
- Ensures SQL platforms are continually updated and upgraded to remain within supported versions.
- Supports the Infrastructure Solutions Manager with the development of technology roadmaps for all database systems.
- Work with peers and senior stakeholders for Service Continuity (BCP & DR) Plan ensuring suitable arrangements are in place in the event of significant service disruption
- Mentors, coaches and develops members of the team to continuously develop skills, processes and standards.
- Experienced production database administration covering Microsoft SQL Server 2016, including both Standard and Enterprise editions.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience in a Technology Manager/Architect role
- Excellent knowledge of MS SQL Server Clustering, LogShipping, Replication and/or AOAG.
- Excellent understanding and experience in performance/capacity tuning/monitoring, optimisation, diagnosing and rectifying performance and/or capacity related problems
- Excellent T-SQL skills, Index strategies, including both query and server optimisation
- Excellent understanding of storage IO, SAN, Windows Clustering, SSAS, SQL CLR/Service Broker & PowerShell
- Solid understanding of Cloud based Database solutions, including Managed Instances MSSQL/MySQL.
- Proven track record of managing complex SQL database environments and implementing SQL upgrades
- Experience in operating within a managed hosting and/or cloud environment
- Experience in a regulated industry, preferably financial
- Excellent communication skills with experience of liaising with technical colleagues, senior leadership, key business stakeholders and suppliers.
- Be able to explain complex issues succinctly and with clarity, both in writing or orally.
- Experience in an IT environment with a good documentation culture, including change management processes.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Able to manage and prioritise and tasks and time efficiently.