The Database Manager reports to the Head of IT.
The Database Manager is responsible for the development, management and maintenance of the University’s administrative IT Systems including the interfaces with other systems. The Database Manager contributes to the IT Department’s strategic objectives and operational plan in relation to management information systems.
The Database Manager’s main duties are to:
- be responsible for the development, management and maintenance of the University’s administrative IT systems including the interfaces with other systems (PowerCampus, Blackboard, SharePoint, WordPress, Sage Snowdrop, AKERO, Argos, etc.;
- perform systems analysis, documentation and programming activities as required in conjunction with other IT staff and users;
- provide 1st / 2nd line support to users of the University’s management information systems;
- liaise with departments to determine their needs and develop and deliver appropriate solutions;
- collaborate with colleagues within the University in the maintenance of settings and processes in the University's student information and enterprise systems with an emphasis on data standards and consistency;
- facilitate and participate in the testing/debugging of system upgrades and new functionality, and diagnose and resolve problems occurring in multiple software and database platforms;
- develop the capability of integration between all systems including PowerCampus, Blackboard, the University’s Portal and any other platforms which require to interact with the University’s Databases and implement in line with business requirements;
- contribute to the IT Department’s strategic objectives and operational plan in relation to management information systems;
- produce and analyse responses to complex queries relating to PowerCampus and assist in the writing of reports as required;
- coach faculty and staff on use of systems and business processing tools;
- undertake special projects and development work as required;
- adhere to and promote the university’s Health and Safety policies and procedures.
The Database Manager is located at the Richmond Campus. The university is anticipating a change of location to a new site in South West London in 2022.
By the nature of the duties of this position, there may be a requirement for occasional evening and weekend work. A Disclosure and Barring Service check at the enhanced level is required for this position.
The above responsibilities are subject to change at the discretion of the Head of IT and shall include other responsibilities as the Head of IT may from time-to-time assign. The Head of IT may also, at their discretion, reassign some of the above responsibilities. The Head of IT will work with the Database manager to co-ordinate work and resolve problems and will evaluate the Database Manager’s performance.
- proven skills and experience in the use of query languages, commercial reporting tools such as SQL Server Reporting Services to develop and produce complex reports and data analysis;
- knowledge of legacy products such as Informix, Solaris and the ability to extract and transfer the information into current PowerCampus interface;
- experience of 4GL or 3GL programming languages to extract and manipulate database information;
- experience of working with from MS SQL Server 2008 to latest, MS Reporting and Integration Services and an understanding of MS SQL stored procedures, triggers and functions and all components of SSRS, SSAS and SSIS;
- be able to liaise and communicate with current suppliers i.e. Ellucian PowerCampus, Sage, Blackboard, etc., and be the technical contact for any projects involving the optimization of current business critical systems
- an understanding of business systems and processes in a higher education environment;
- excellent written and oral analysis and presentation skills, including the ability to convey complex ideas and data in a concise, actionable form;
- strong organisation and time management skills;
- the ability to build effective working relationships with a wide range of University users and external stakeholders;
- experience in coaching others;
- ability to grasp new concepts quickly and to work quickly and accurately;
- able to work as part of a team, while taking sole responsibility for areas of a project;
- able to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive data and information;
- a relevant degree or equivalent qualification or work experience.
- using Ellucian’s PowerCampus or a similar student information system;
- NET, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, LINQ, T-SQL; PHP, C#, Java
- database design and object relational mapping and performance tuning;
- designing and providing training on reporting and business processing tools;
- project management using PRINCE2 or similar.
- Blackboard, SharePoint, WordPress, O365, version control systems
LIST OF SPECIFIC PROJECTS:
- Transfer old Student Record System into current PowerCampus (PC) interface
- Upgrade current MS OS 2008 R2 database servers to latest possible and transfer Power Campus
- Liaise with Ellucian the software update of PowerCampus to ver. 8.6 and plan for staged upgrade to current ver. 9.2
- Liaise with Marketing to help integration of PC and AKERO
- Liaise with Finance to move away from PC financial customizations and transfer any student billing functionalities to PS Financials
- Liaise with Infosilem to upgrade Argos and Timetabler to latest versions
- Liaise with HR to scope and support upgrade of current platform