Big Blue Door is a creative digital development and hosting agency with substantial experience in developing and maintaining high quality, high impact websites and digital products in complex, multi-stakeholder environments in an Agile manner. We specialise in working with public and third sector organisations, both large and small, utilising Drupal as our preferred Content Management Framework, and Amazon Web Services (AWS) as our preferred hosting partner.
Our client base is primarily public sector organisations, including Government departments, Local Councils, NHS, and Education bodies, with both public-facing websites and Intranets. The work we undertake is very varied, and includes a number of backend integrations with third-party APIs.
We manage projects through the entirety of the SDLC, from discovery, research, and creative design, through to the build phase, and finally through to training, support, ongoing maintenance, and hosting. We are Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partners , but also have hosting spread across other providers including Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
About the role:
We're looking for an experienced frontend developer to join our team, and help deliver projects working closely with our head of creative. This role will also include mentoring more junior frontend members of the team (remotely and in-person).
This role will be split across new (greenfield) projects and legacy client work, with some clients still operating on Drupal 7. All of our new builds are in Drupal 8/9. Some of our newer projects are headless (we use React) and we expect this trend to continue.
As an agency with multiple concurrent work strands across different technologies and frameworks, we expect our developers to work across a number of projects during a normal working week.
- Broad experience of working with frontend frameworks such as React, Angular, Next, Gatsby and VueJS.
- Three or more years experience with version control systems (preferably Git) and team workflows.
- Worked with and consumed a good range of third party APIs.
- CSS Preprocessing - SASS/SCSS and build tools (e.g. Compass / Node / Yarn).
- Use and understanding of task runners - Gulp and Grunt.
- Comfortable using the command line and SSH.
- Experience with Adobe suite (Photoshop / Illustrator / Fireworks) or similar (Sketch) - in taking design files and applying them to HTML/CSS. Design skills not required.
- Ability to produce and review high quality, clean code.
- Ability to support and mentor other team members
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage work priorities effectively and autonomously.
- The ability to work on-site in our London Bridge office on occasion, either as full-time (M-F) or as part-time (2-3 days in the office, otherwise remote). Please also see the note at the top of this specification relating to COVID-19.
- Fluent English and excellent communication skills as part of the role may be client-facing
- Five or more years demonstrable experience of building Drupal (7 or 8) production websites (we may ask for code samples), including coding custom modules, extending contrib, and theme building.
- Drupal certifications (Acquia or otherwise).
- Experience working with Graphql
- Experience with frontend testing libraries such as Jasmine, Mocha, Jest, etc.
- Experience with Storybook or other component library software
Backend / DevOps:
- Demonstrable experience custom coding on other PHP CMSs (OOP or procedural).
- Symfony or Python/Django experience may be beneficial.
- Sysadmin experience configuring LAMP/LEMP stack.
- Experience with configuring CI software, such as Jenkins.
- Experience of designing and consuming APIs and Web Services (SOAP / REST), including knowledge of security concerns and mitigations.
- Ability to write or configure custom automation tasks with scripting tools, e.g. Bash/Perl/Python.
- Experience configuring virtualisation for development processes, e.g. Docker/Vagrant.
- Experience of building to Accessibility Standards, particularly WAI / WCAG.
- Understanding of SOA, experience with Web Services (XMLRPC / JSON / SOAP / REST / GraphQL).
- Flexible working
- Macbook Pro
- 28 days annual leave [inclusive of bank holidays, increasing by one day every year (up to ten years)]
- 'Open fridge' policy including free lunch and wine/beer
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Interesting and varied projects!
- Professional development training, including annual week in Europe for DrupalCon (or similar)
- Friendly and supportive environment
- Technical Test
- Video Call with Managing Partners / Tech Lead
Drupal, React, Angular, Next, Vue.jsDrupal, React, Angular, Next, Vue.js, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Git, Gulp, PHP, Symfony, Python, Django, Jenkins, SOAP, REST, Bash, Perl, Docker, GraphQL, Jasmine, Mocha, Jest, Storybook