We have an exciting opportunity available for a Principal Engineer to join our team. This role will be based at our state-of-the-art Headquarters in Southampton, however, all our people, where they can, are currently working from home. As such, we are open to applications that can deliver work remotely where appropriate. In return, you will receive a competitive salary.
Ordnance Survey (OS) provides national mapping services for Great Britain and is a world-leading provider of geospatial solutions. OS location data and expertise has helped governments make smarter decisions, businesses gain valuable data insight, and everyone experience the world outside for over 225 years.
We offer fantastic benefits in return for joining us as our Principal Engineer:
- Competitive salary plus performance-related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week (with flexible working options)
- 25 days annual leave (30 days after five years), plus bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- A suite of excellent additional benefits
About the role:
We have an opportunity for a highly motivated Principal Engineer to join our Technology & Design department in developing the next generation cloud-based systems, that drive our world-leading geospatial and business applications. Providing organisational and technical leadership to our forward-thinking agile teams, you will influence strategic direction across our Data Engineering domain.
Having a thirst for knowledge and the ability to think creatively are highly valued in OS’s engineering culture and ethos. You will be working with a wide variety of techniques and technologies, such as Azure DevOps, Azure Cloud Services, Azure Data Platform, FME, and ESRI technology stacks.
Providing industry-leading expertise, informing, and enabling the strategic objectives of OS, you will lead the software development of complex and high-profile projects, working with senior stakeholders across the business to develop roadmaps to address strategy.
Your organisation-wide thought leadership, training, and direction will facilitate collaboration with senior business stakeholders, and allow you to influence, shape, design and challenge roadmaps and objectives. Through collaboration with project and delivery managers, you will also track the progress of technical delivery.
What we’re looking for in our Principal Engineer:
- Industry-leading skills in software engineering & best practice (e.g. SOLID, Agile, TDD, BDD)
- Good knowledge and understanding of system development in Azure cloud environments
- Demonstrable ability to lead, coach and mentor engineering teams
- Excellent track record in collaborating with senior business stakeholders
- Proven track record in leading complex software development projects
- Proven track record in the development of technical strategies
- Experience working with Geospatial data, ESRI or FME (desirable)
Our growing Technology and Design team plays a key role in ensuring OS is at the cutting edge of geospatial capability and is looking for people to join them. Its mission is to work across the business to provide customer-centric design and technology services.
If you would like to be part of this, please click apply now to be considered as our Principal Engineer – we’d love to hear from you!
Closing Date: Sunday 28th March 2021